11 June 2007

arrival!!

Hello, all! I'm finally settled in enough to be able to spend a couple minutes typing, so here goes.

My flights into Atlanta and then to Valdosta were uneventful, until I arrived here and discovered that, due to weight issues, only 18 pieces of checked luggage were aboard the plane. And none of them were mine. But they said, oh, it'll be on the next flight from Atlanta (Val Regional's only connect). So the next plane came in about 10:30... and I got the red one, but not the duffel. So right now, I'm waiting for them to call and say that the next plane is in and they have it, but I'm not holding my breath. My dishes and pillows are here, but the pots&pans and sheets (and liquids&gels) are in the one that isn't here. But Ken's family loaned me some sheets and a blanket so I can sleep until the rest of my things arrive. Which is hopefully today. Maybe.

Those were the TINIEST planes I've ever been on!! 12.5 rows, 4 across, no 1st class. Both flights were totally full, too. So I hope my luggage made it out of MKE all right..

In other news, we had to take a shopping trip yesterday to get a few things: TP, a shower curtain, dish soap and towels, a sponge, cooking knives, and a cutting board. Also milk, butter, apples, and spices. Kix were also on sale at Wally World, so I got a box of those and had them and a peach (from Mrs. Rumstay) for breakfast this morning. My toothpaste is still in Atlanta, but there was (for some reason) one hanging around the office here, so I'm using that until mine shows. I also have a bike (courtesy of Ken) with a !new lock (my helmet is in Atlanta), and a little TV on which I watched Sesame Street while I ate my Kix this morning.

Right now we're waiting for a call from the ID office so I can go get my VSU ID, and then it's off to the housing office so I can get a real access card and give back the temp one.

OH! And I know what my research is about now. We're monitoring brightness fluctuations of AGNs (active galactic nuclei) to determine how massive they are. Basically how fast the brightness changes tells us how heavy the black hole is. But I'm sure it'll be more complicated than that.

Until all that happens, I'm busy customizing Firefox. Time for Mouse Gestures!!!

EDIT
Finally got thru to Los Airport and they say it's there.. so we'll go get it as soon as Ken finishes his advising meeting. YAY I can eat Rice-A-Roni tonight!

No comments: